- 1 Top 5 Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair Comparison
- 2 Pet Hair Robot Vacuums Cleaners Evaluation
- 3 How We Selected the Products
- 4 Tips to Maintain Your House Clean and Extend the Lifetime of Your Robot
There’s a strong bond between humans and animals, so no wonder that approximately 65% of United States households own a pet. Dogs and cats are the most popular pets and some of the reasons why people prefer them include the fact that they are adaptive and docile. While there are many advantages to owning an animal, including health benefits, cleaning up after a pet is generally perceived as a hassle. Dogs and cats, or other furry animals, leave hair everywhere, especially on floor and carpets. This can be frustrating as the only way to prevent accumulation of pet hair and dander is to vacuum the floor as often as possible.
While most standard vacuum cleaners do a great job at picking up pet hair, you still need to handle them to remove the unwanted hair and dirt. A great alternative that more and more people take into consideration is the robot vacuum as it does most of the job by itself. The most advanced robots can clean the house from one side to the other without requiring any help. They even have high-performance filters that trap the dander and other small particles. It’s true that they aren’t flawless but they get better and better. To convince you about their utility, we have gathered the best models that successfully deal with pet hair and keep your house dust-free. Look at each of the models, read their pros and cons, and get the one you like the most.
Top 5 Robot Vacuum for Pet Hair Comparison
|Photo||Robot Vacuum||Dimensions (LxWxH/in.)||Run Time (min.)||Charge Time (min.)||Self Charging||Brush||Filter||Dust Bin Capacity (fl. oz.)||Price|
|1. Neato Botvac D80||12.7 x 13.2 x 3.9||60 – 90||120 – 180||✔||Combo Brush/ Spiral Blade Brush/ Side Brush||High Performance Filter||26.66|
|2. iRobot Roomba 960||13.8 x 13.8 x 3.6||75||120 – 180||✔||2 Tangle-Free Multi-Surfaces Brushes/ Edge-Sweeping Brush||High Efficiency Filter||20.28|
|3. bObsweep PetHair Plus||13.8 x 13.8 x 3.9||75||180 – 240||✔||Main Brush/Side Brush||Mesh Filter/ Electrostatic Filter/ HEPA Filter||33.81|
|4. ILife V3s Pro||11.8 x 11.8 x 3||120 – 140||300||✔||2 Side Brushes||2 High Performance Filters||10.14|
|5. Ecovacs Deebot N78||13.9 x 13.9 x 3.3||110||240 – 300||✔||Main Brush/2 Side Brushes||High Efficiency Filter||16.9|Pet Hair Robot Vacuums Cleaners Evaluation Neato Botvac D80
This model made by Neato does a great job at piking up pet hair and keeping your floors clean. It was specially designed for pet owners and people who suffer from allergies. The added features and convenience make it one of the most popular options among those who want to have a clean home environment and still enjoy the benefits of having a dog or a cat.
Combining powerful suction with efficient brushes, the robot can eliminate pet hair like no other. Its capability of passing from hard floors to carpets make it very versatile, begin a great addition to any home. The performance of the filters plays an important role when dealing with pet dander, so the incorporated filter captures a great amount of dust and allergens which are collected in the generous 26 ounces dust bin.
- SpinFlow Power Clean technology: Uses powerful suction and multiple brushes that help you get rid of the unwanted dirt. The included spiral blade is ideal for all types of floors while the combo brush is more silent and does a great job at picking up hair. Additionally, the side brush leaves the edges clean by sweeping the dust.
- CornerClever technology& D-shape: The innovative design of the robot, as well as the advanced technology, allow it to deliver superior edge and corner cleaning.
- 3,000 sq. ft: One cleaning cycle charge allows it to vacuum up to 3,000 sq. feet.
- High-performance filter: traps particles as small as 0.3 microns, including pet dander and mold. For more convenience, it comes with an extra filter.
The LaserSmart mapping and navigation technology enables it to vacuum multiple rooms all by itself, constantly searching for the best course to clean the house. As a result, it won’t bump around.
- 360-degree scanning: allows it to scan and map the cleaning area in order to find the most efficient cleaning path. Therefore, it will finish the cleaning better and faster.
- 2 drop sensors: they are located on the bottom and they prevent it from falling down the stairs
- Object sensors : using the laser turret, the robot automatically detects walls and objects and avoids them.
Ease of Use
The robot features status lights, so you will know when it’s ready to clean or when it needs to be recharged. In case of errors, a message will be displayed on the screen, telling you what’s wrong with it. It charges by itself, but it won’t resume work. It doesn’t come with a remote control but the LCD screen also allows you to start cleaning, program it at a certain time to clean the house, or select spot cleaning. It includes boundary markers and a cleaning tool and it comes with a manufacturer warranty of 1 year. The battery is backed for 6 months.
- In comparison to round cleaners, the D-design allows for a wide cleaning brush
- Advanced navigation system that helps it clean the entire house very fast
- The borders consist of battery-free magnets strips
- Captures up to 99% of all particles
- Comes with a large dust bin
- The filter can capture particles as small as 0.3 microns
- Doesn’t come with a remote control
- The screen is rather small
- No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth technology
You don’t have to pay a fortune to get your own robot vacuum. This is affordable and delivers great performance. It is pet-friendly and can efficiently remove hair and pet dander. It has a beautiful design, doesn’t get stuck, and is pretty silent. It charges fast and it can clean a medium-sized house on a single charge. However, it lacks a remote control and you can’t use it with your smartphone.
iRobot Roomba 960
Roomba 960 is one of the most advanced robot vacuums made by iRobot. It is the result of many years of research, taking the automatic vacuum to a new level. This unit can remove dust and pet hair without too much effort, helping you keep allergies at bay. The ease of use and multiple built-in features make it a reliable option for every pet lover.
Dust is everywhere in the house but if you have a cat or a dog, you also have to deal with pet hair and dander. Luckily, this unit can pick up debris and hair from your hard floor and carpets very easily. The innovative brushes that reduce hair tangles and the efficient filter make it the perfect solution for homes with pets.
- AeroForce cleaning system: combining the multi-surface brushes with a strong suction, this model can deliver up to 5x more air power in comparison to Roomba 600 and 700 series. For removing dust along walls and from the corners, the unit is equipped with a side brush.
- Dirt detect technology: automatically recognized areas with a high level of dirt and provides extra cleaning.
- Auto-adjust cleaning head: delivers the same cleaning performance on both carpets and hard floors, as the head adjusts its height automatically to keep the brushes in close contact with the surface.
- High-efficiency filter: can capture up to 99% of airborne particles – 10 microns and larger. Includes one extra filter.
In comparison to the other Roomba models, Roomba 980 and 960 use the iAdapt 2.0 navigation technology. The software has been improved to make the robot navigate more efficiently an entire level of the house.
- Visual localization camera (VSLAM): includes a camera that helps it create a map of the room based on pictures.
- Cliff sensors: comes with 5 cliff sensors to prevent it from falling down the stairs.
- Floor tracking sensor: it is located on the bottom of the robot and it is similar to an optical mouse, measuring the distance and direction the unit has traveled.
- Object sensors: the unit slows down when it encounters obstacles and it touches them gently to provide a better coverage.
Ease of Use
The robot comes with plenty of nice features that are meant to make it more user-friendly. Besides the fact that it recharges automatically when it needs more juice, it also resumes cleaning where it left off. Also, the full bin indicator lets you know when you have to empty the bin. It comes with a built-in handle that allows you to move the unit around. It doesn’t have a remote control but you can connect it to your smartphone via Wi-Fi. The iRobot HOME app offers you the possibility to schedule the cleaning, watch instructional videos, etc. You can also use voice commands as it works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Both the robot and the battery are warranted for a period of 1 year.
- Features dirt detect sensors for delivering additional cleaning on dirtier surfaces
- The app is very nice and user-friendly
- The cleaning head automatically adjusts to multiple surfaces
- Can be activated with your voice
- Navigates the entire home without bumping or wandering around
- The brushes are much easier to clean because they don’t get tangled while picking up hair or fur
- Doesn’t include a remote control
- Like all Roomba vacuums, the trash bin is not very large
- Doesn’t come with cleaning tools
This is a smart robot vacuum that is pricier than Botvac D80. Even though it doesn’t come with a remote control you can control it with your voice or smartphone. It does a wonderful job at keeping your house clean and capturing small particles. For more convenience, we would’ve wanted it to come with a larger dust bin and some cleaning accessories.
bObsweep PetHair Plus
This is the latest model made by bObsweep, so its performance is somehow improved. In comparison to the other models, it has the largest bin, so it can store more debris and pet hair. Besides the fact that it vacuums and sweeps, this robot also mops and sterilizes floors. This makes it the perfect choice for pet owners as it keeps the house clean without hassle. It also includes 3 filters that capture both large and fine particles. The robot features a simple design and is available in 2 color options: charcoal and cobalt. It has a large display screen and it includes a remote control. Additionally, it keeps you updated with its currents state due to the built-in diagnosis system.
It is equipped with a main brush that is wide enough to cover more surface and a side brush to sweep the dust from the edges. With the TurboLift feature, the robot provides a powerful suction that helps eliminate fur, litter, and other debris. The mop function is a nice addition as it helps remove stubborn dirt. We particularly like the UV light for sterilization as it does a wonderful job killing bacteria and viruses. This feature is great, especially if you have kids as it provides a clean and safe environment for them. The robot comes with a 2-year warranty and plenty of accessories, including a cleaning tool and extra brushes and filters.
- Delivers TurboLift vacuum for a powerful suction
- Can also mop and sterilize the floor for ultimate cleaning
- Extra-large dust bin
- Comes with 3 filters, including a HEPA filter for sub-micron particles
- Includes a remote control and multiple accessories
- Long main brush for a faster cleaning
- Needs up to 4 hours to fully charge
- Doesn’t feature a Wi-Fi connectivity
- The navigation system is less advanced in comparison to the previous models
Overall, Bob is a nice vacuum cleaner that does its job. It is a little bit pricey considering the fact that it uses a less advanced navigation system and that it doesn’t connect to Wi-FI. However, it comes with a very large dust bin and highly-efficient filters. At the same time, it is covered by a long warranty and comes with all the accessories you need.
ILife V3s Pro
Here is another recommendation if you have pets and you want to leave the cleaning task in the hands of a robot. Due to the fact that it has a low-profile design, this model can get under the furniture without any problem. It is small in size and features a simple, yet elegant design. Due to the pet care technology, this vacuum will remove hair more efficiently. It was specially designed to vacuum pet hair and keep the house dirt-free. It comes with 2 side brushes that sweet dust from edges and corners. Additionally, it includes 2 high-performance filters that capture both large and small particles and separate dirt from debris. Also, in order to eliminate odors, it delivers fresh air. Unfortunately, the robot has a small trash bin, so you may need to empty it before it finishes cleaning the entire house.
With this robot you can choose from 4 cleaning modes: auto clean, spot clean, edge clean, and schedule clean. You can select the desired mode by using the included remote control. For superior climbing abilities, the robot features large wheels that allow it to ride over obstacles or climb unto carpets. It can clean multiple rooms and it comes equipped with multiple sensors to avoid the obstacles or the stairs. It is covered by a long 5-year warranty.
- The AirAway filtering technology efficiently separates debris from dirt and eliminates fresh air
- Features multiple advanced sensors
- Low-profile design and extra-wide wheels for increased stability on all surfaces
- Includes a remote control that allows you to program the cleaning schedule
- Long battery run time
- Features 4 cleaning modes
- Small dust bin
- Needs 5 hours to charge completely
- Sometimes, especially if you have a house with more rooms, it gets lost and can’t find the docking station
- Doesn’t connect to Wi-Fi
Considering the affordable price, V3S Pro is a reliable robot that won’t disappoint you. With this model, you will get excellent performance on all types of floor. Its main advantages are the small design, the long battery life, and the impressive 5-year warranty. The pet care technology makes it a great choice if you want robot that can remove hair with ease. Unfortunately, it has some drawbacks but overall there are more pros than cons.
Ecovacs Deebot N78
Another impressive robot that collects pet debris with ease it Deebot N78. The main brush, as well as the 2 side brushes, help it sweep dirt and pet hair without hassle. At the same time, the strong suction enables it to collect the dirt efficiently and keep your house dust-free. The high-efficiency filter does a great job at capturing small debris and keeping the air clean every time. However, the dust bin will fill up quickly as it is rather small. Just like bObsweep PetHair Plus, this robot can also mop for extra clean floors. However, don’t get too enthusiastic, as this option needs more improvements for the robot to achieve the same performance as highly-advanced robot mops. Nevertheless, it’s a nice option to have.
This model is only 3.3 inches tall which means that it can vacuum under low-profile furniture without any problem. It features a smart motion navigation system that helps it clean multiple rooms and return to the charging station whenever necessary. Moreover, it has built-in sensors for detecting obstacles and avoiding them. Also, due to the anti-drop sensors, it won’t fall off the stairs. The included remote control allows you to control it from distance and schedule it according to your preferences. It comes with a 1-year warranty and some helpful accessories.
- At 56 dB it features a quiet operation
- Includes a remote control to customize the cleaning
- Features a blade that cuts hair
- Features 3 cleaning modes: auto, spot and edge
- Comes with multiple anti-drop and anti-collision sensors
- Long battery life
- The mopping function is less advanced and most customers say they don’t use it
- Rather small trash bin
- Needs up to 5 hours to fully charge
- No Wi-Fi connectivity
Less expensive than most robot vacuums yet it does a wonderful job. It is very silent, features a low-profile design, and it comes with a remote control. The navigation system helps it clean multiple rooms and the sensors keeps it away from obstacles. It features a long running time but you have to wait up to 4 or 5 hours to charge completely. All in all, we consider it a long-term choice.
How We Selected the Products
A good vacuum has to meet some standards, otherwise, its performance may be affected. Not any robot out there is equipped to successfully deal with pet dander and hair, but there are some you can rely on. Anyway, finding them was not an easy task. Among others, an autonomous robot designed for picking up pet hair is mandatory to have a quality filter and highly efficient brushes. So, here are the main aspects we took into account before we started our search.
|Rating Criteria||Description||Model to Go With|
|Navigation Technology||In order to be able to move around the house without bumping into objects or falling down stairs, robots use a navigation system. It includes all sort of sensors that help them better detect the surrounding objects. Besides bump and cliff sensors, some models are equipped with wall sensors or optical sensors. Some even have a visual localization camera or a laser-guided system that helps them map the house and find the most efficient cleaning course. The more advanced the navigation system is, the more intelligently the robot will clean the house.||Neato Botvac D80, bObsweep PetHair Plus|
|Battery Performance||The battery is the life of any robotic vacuum cleaner. For this reason, its technology is directly linked to the performance of the device. So, the aspects that matter the most refer to the running time and the charging time of the battery. Currently, there are few devices that feature both a fast charging time and a long operation time. In general, a battery can recharge in minimum one hour and can run for maximum 5 or 6 hours. But you won’t find a model to have such a battery.||bObsweep PetHair Plus|
|Charging Convenience||The more intervention required, the less convenient the robot is. Luckily, most devices return by themselves to the charging station when the battery runs low. Of course, there are some exceptions, but this is not our case. Anyway, the most advanced robots not only recharge themselves they also resume their work once they are fully charged. So, if the battery runs low in the middle of the cleaning session, they remember exactly where they left off and continue from there.||iRobot Roomba 960|
|Brush Performance||All devices are equipped with brushes but not all of them are equally efficient. So, when we want a robot that can handle pet hair with ease, the importance of the brushes is crucial. Most models have a main brush that helps better vacuum dirt and hair into the dust cup. There are all sorts of ingenious bushes that pull dirt without hassle. For better removing unwanted debris, some vacuums also have side brushes that sweep in the dust. This type of brush is very useful for cleaning the corners, along walls, or any other hard-to-reach area.||Neato Botvac D80, iRobot Roomba 960, Ecovacs Deebot N78|
|Filter Efficiency||It’s hard to keep dog and cat allergens under control. Pet dander and hair can easily cause allergies to the entire family, so you have to get rid of them by regularly cleaning the house. To help you with that, some manufacturers added filters that capture most airborne particles, including those that trigger allergies. The most efficient filter is the HEPA filter as it can trap up to 99.97% of particles, even those as small as 0.3 microns. Some devices are equipped with more filters to make sure the hair and dander are completely removed.||bObsweep PetHair Plus, ILife V3s Pro|
|Dust Bin Size||Since cats and dogs shed their fur, the dust bin of the robot has to be larger than usual. A small bin may not be able to hold large amounts of hair and debris, so you may need to empty it several times per session. And this can be quite inconvenient.||bObsweep PetHair Plus, Neato Botvac D80|Tips to Maintain Your House Clean and Extend the Lifetime of Your Robot
A house with furry pets is more welcoming but it can get pretty messy. Even though these robots are specially made to handle pet hair, they require more maintenance in order to enjoy the same peak performance for a longer period of time. Also, your house needs to be cleaned more often to maintain a safe indoor environment for the entire family. So, here is what you have to do.
|Clean the Floors Twice a Week||Clean/Change the Brushes and Filters||Empty the Dust Bin After Each Use|
|In order to get rid of pet fur and dander make sure you clean the house as often as you can – the optimal cleaning frequency is twice a week. If possible, you can schedule the robot to start cleaning on particular days of the week.||Usually, the main brush needs to be cleaned twice a week and replaced after 6 to 9 months. The side brush should be cleaned once every two week. The filter should be cleaned twice a week and replaced every 2 months.||You can prevent allergens by emptying and cleaning the dust bin after each use.|
After analyzing the best 5 robot vacuums for pet hair, let’s highlight the most important advantages and disadvantages of each of them. Neato Botvac D80 is the robot with the best quality-price ratio. It is an excellent choice not only for pet owners but for all those who want to get an advanced, yet not “smart” robot cleaner. Our second option, Roomba 960 is the perfect model for high-tech enthusiasts. Its cleaning abilities are exceptional, especially when it comes to picking up pet hair.
The last 3 options are less advanced but they totally worth their place in our top. The model from bObsweep is a nice option although it is a little bit more expensive considering the fact that it delivers a similar performance to the last 2 models. It is, however, the model with the largest dustbin while being equipped with no less than 3 filters. ILife V3s Pro and Ecovacs Deebot N78 are available at pretty much the same price, being cheaper than the other robots. What we like about them is that they feature a long running time and that are very easy to control. Unfortunately, both of them have small dustbins.